VIRTUAL FUN WITH HISTORY - WEEK 7by PORT FAIRY & REGION VISITOR INFORMATION CENTRE
Gobles Mill House
Widely recognised for quality accommodation, and prime location perfectly positioned on the Moyne river, lies Gobles Mill House.
However, this charming boutique B&B is more than just a point of accommodation, it has a large story to tell…
As we take a few steps back into the times of the late 1850’s, a mill engineer and flour miller arrived in Port Fairy by the name of Joseph Goble.
In 1866, Goble purchased a waterfront property of the western bank on the Moyne river. By the end of the year he had constructed a large bluestone steam-driven mill and associated store and cottage.
It opened for business as "Joseph Goble's Steam Flour Mill" equipped with "all the most up to date and efficient milling devices".
The location, directly on the waterfront, enabled Goble to receive grain and ship flour to market easily and cheaply, which was perfect for his operation.
Goble occupied the property and conducted the Mill until 1871, when he leased the cottage and mill operation to Mr William Horsley until 1883.
After some unsuccessful attempts to sell the building in 1876 and 1881, Goble carried out some modifications to the mill building, including creating a brick facade.
Unfortunately, in 1891, the Mill was damaged and gutted by a fire, and contemporary reports suggest the operation may have been completely destroyed!
In 1913, the property was sold, with the mill building described as being in a ruinous state.
However, by 1919, it had been repaired and opened for business as the Port Fairy Cheese and Butter Factory Pty Ltd.
This company closed in 1939, and five years later the property was sold to a trucking company and used for warehousing.
It fell into ruin once more, until the mill building was purchased and converted in the 1990s for operation as a bed and breakfast.
Gobles Mill house stands today as one of the admirable B&B’s in Port Fairy and shares a great historical connection with the town.